Justified

Justified

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

He Gets Me!

Have you ever heard someone use the expression He/she "gets me." What do they mean by that anyway? What do they get, and how did they get it? OK, so I'm being sarcastic. We all need someone who "GETS US", who understand us. Who knows all our little quirks and secrets and still thinks the world of us. I think it's human nature, to want to be understood completely, not just halfway but in every which way without always having to explain ourselves. 
Psalms 139:1-6  says:
1 O LORD, You have searched me and known me.
 2 You know my sitting down and my rising up;
         You understand my thought afar off.
 3 You comprehend my path and my lying down,
         And are acquainted with all my ways.
 4 For there is not a word on my tongue,
         But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether.
 5 You have hedged me behind and before,
         And laid Your hand upon me.
 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
         It is high, I cannot attain it.

God "GETS ME." He knows
 that I can be moody, childish, totally insecure in more ways than I care to acknowledge. That I feel things deeply, sometimes too deeply, that I can be too sensitive at times and cry at the drop of a hat. That I trust too easily and fall head over heels too quickly. He understands that I believe that dreams do come true and that hope is the last thing that is lost. He even knows that I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with Doritos in the middle and doesn't even think it's gross. The Psalmist says in verse 3 "You comprehend my path" The Hebrew word translated "comprehend" suggests that He actually sees the formation of the words in our tongues before we begin to speak them (v. 4). 
Yes, I would love to have someone here on earth to tell me they "get me." After all I am human. But I don't have to go searching for someone to understand me when God knows me perfectly well. I don't have to worry about being misunderstood when I speak too Him, or even worry that He is going to say, there she goes crying her eyes out again. On the contrary, He loves it when I come before Him and bare my soul completely. He even wipes my tears and kisses my forehead. He knows all my wants and needs and never fails to meet them in His perfect timing. He even knows when I am about to blow it and mess up.  And He sits back lets me do my thing and when I go running to Him, He receives me with open loving arms.
Now getting back to the being human thing, well God understands that as well. He knows that we all need companionship. That as humans we all need hugs and caresses now and then. Someone who understands us. A soul mate that we can be ourselves with. So, as I wait for that someone, I take comfort in knowing that God totally, completely, 100% "GETS ME."

No comments:

Post a Comment